Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Closet Bliss

Every girl dreams of a custom closet, right? 

When we moved into our house all the closets had those wire closet systems. Which are fine, but love them I don't.  Inevitably I would want to wear something that would be piled beneath a gazillion other things. You have to dig it out and then spend precious time ironing the waffle pattern from the shelved out of it. 

This is our closet before.


Nice huh! It's just hard to make those wire shelves look neat and organized. Even harder to keep it that way. So what to do? 

Rip'em out of course.  The Hubs is great at demo work, I usually do the detail work. You know filling, sanding and painting the patches he leaves in the walls.  

So we ripped out all the wire shelves and I spent hours filling and sanding and painting.  Those anchors for the wire shelves tend to leave gapping holes when removed.  

I happily went on my merry way out of town for a conference. Hubs said he was gonna get started on building the new shelves.  


Minor snag when he texted to tell me about the 4 inch hole he knocked in the wall I had just spent hours repairing. I was out of town so I didn't get a picture of it.  Hubs doesn't see the value of documenting the errors..... Can't imagine why :-)  

So the big new hole in the wall was in upper left at the top of the shoe rack.  He built a shoe rack!!! My love, my hero!! Every girl wants/ needs/ must HAVE a shoe rack.  It won't even begin to hold all my shoes, but it's a start. Short of converting an entire room for shoe storage, it will have to do.

See my built in shoe rack!!!!

I big sparkly this man of mine!!!!

After seeing that, the new hole in the wall?!?! Not such a big deal anymore.

So he framed out the closet and then I get to jump in. With what else..... the patching AND the sanding AND the Painting. 
The detail work.


Since this is a project we did together, I didn't get to snap a lot of "in progress" pics.  I was out of town and then he was, so we kind of had to do our separate parts. 


It's not even close to being filled back up yet. This project took some time, and I am so impatient.  

It's just not that fun to dig through a pile of clothes on your dining room table looking for something to wear.  That went on for three months. Yes, three months.  Sometimes we're just slow. Or life gets in the way. Or those pesky  real  paying jobs get in the way. 



Here's the biggest thing I learned.... ready?
Prime/ paint those shelves BEFORE the go up!! Seriously, this was tedious work.  And the light in the closet is not great. I kept finding spots that needed more paint. If  when  we remodel one of the closets, I will paint first! And you know now that we have this under our belts doing another closet should be pretty simple, and we're even still speaking now that it's done!

So if anyone needs me I'll be sitting in my closet enjoying the bliss that is my shoe rack. 
:-)


Linking up to:




    BoostMyBlogFriday

12 comments:

AliLilly said...

That looks great!! NOW go check out Emily's pantry redo! ARE YOU SERIOUS it's awesome! I'm am married to her hubby's brother so doesn't that mean my hubby should help me do that since they are blood!! hhahaha!
OH I was coming over to tell you I bought this adorable lil notebook from biglots it's so cute I wanna use the cover as some form of art! You should see how full it is with notes and what not!! If I had your cell I would send you a pic and say SEEEE!!! hahaha

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Brandy, that looks so great! Nothing is better then a closet organizer. I was one of the first things we did here. Makes me happy. I'm sure it does for you too.

lisaroyhandbags said...

You have a seriously great man there! What I wouldn't do for a shoe rack! Your closet looks great and it really is worth all the effort - you'll be smiling every time you go in! :)

Jami @An Oregon Cottage said...

This is seriously a great closet makeover- and totally custom, I love it!

Thanks for following my blog- glad you found it interesting. :-) I'm following you back- your creations out of thrift/found objects are right up my alley.

- Brittany said...

Oh you lucky gal! Love your closet. I have a serious case of closet envy here.

Brittany
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

foxxy said...

Your husband built you a shoe rack? Give that man a kiss will you! My shoes are on a broken over the door shoe rack that came from the Dollar store. I would love to have your closet. It turned out great! Thanks for following me. I am now a happy follower of you too.

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

I'm SO jealous! I WANT that closet! It looks amazing! You're a lucky girl!! :)

Lisa said...

Looks great! Jealous of your beautiful closet! Sometimes it's better if you don't see the mistakes until after they're fixed. I like it better that way!

Carol said...

Brandy, you have a blog award waiting for you at the Antique Texan today!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

That looks FANTASTIC! Ah - I could just sit here forever and stare at it! I love a good closet!

Life in Rehab said...

Officially, you have the closet of my dreams. You guys did a brilliant job.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I'm dying to do this in my own closet. We're still using the cheapo wire shelves that came with the house. If we ever get around to installing a better system, I'll remember to prime and paint them first! :-)