Monday, August 9, 2010

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Here's a peak at the dining room progress. And to let you all know that sometimes I have AMAZINGLY bad ideas. But they always seem so good at the time.
Unfortunately (...or fortunately :-) no pics exist that show the extent of the damage I did.

When we first moved in I thought I wanted a red dining room. I scrambled to paint it, and have been "eh" about it ever since. The room never came together because i didn't love it. I'm just over the red.

So..... enter a plan to re-paint, new (to me) chairs, add a buffet (self-built)
& re-vamp the whole room.

There are no funds in the budget for a new light fixture.
No Problem!!! Right? I'll just spray paint that puppy, I adore spray paint.
Enter amazingly bad idea to do this by myself. Electricity is not my thing. I can do a lot of stuff, but electricity scares me. But Hubs has been out of town.
I have told you how impatient I am????

Well I just decided "there's no need to wait!!" Said with smug attitude that I had a "fool" proof plan to have this all done when Hubs returned home.

So I would just construct a tent around the light. Great idea, right? What could go wrong?
I "tented" from the ceiling to the floor and covered everything with old sheets.
Let the fun begin!! With my tent I could spray paint to my ❤'s content.........
Here's a peak at the dining room, post painted walls, but pre-painted light & buffet. It really needed to be painted, we can all agree on that.

I am in love, love, love with this wall color. Restoration Hardware Silver Sage. Which was a little steep for my budget, so a wonderful paint store in town Farrell Calhoun mixed up the color for me. It was a PERFECT match!!!!

It turned out pretty. I liked it much better in the ORB. (couple of spots to touch up)
One thing I have never understood.....
there are several different finishes on the hardware throughout the house. I am slowly fixing this. I have to wonder about this, because we bought the house from the couple who built it. So they choose this collision of finishes and styles. Weird.

You can also see a peak of the mirror and curtains I'm still working on :-)

Now, just because you can doesn't mean you should.......

Lights are hot! Just because you CAN stand on a ladder and paint the chain up to the ceiling with the light still on..... doesn't mean you SHOULD. Lights are hot ya'll!!! I kept telling myself I was gonna scurry down and get another lamp. I didn't. I have a 3 inch oozy burn on my arm roughly the shape of that light bulb. Did I say I'm accident prone? I'm such a smart girl.....

Just because you CAN "tent" a light fixture and paint it doesn't mean you SHOULD. Especially when you don't realize that your tent doesn't quite reach the floor. Allowing spray paint to escape beyond your tent and covered floor. So when you pull up the floor cover you have a lovely black half moon on your dining room floor.

I got it up, but ruined two swiffer mop pads......

Don't laugh too hard. Happy Monday!



11 comments:

Carol said...

What? You mean you're NORMAL?!

I love it. You made my day!

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

Fantastic! You definitely "prettied" that chandy up! :) Great job!!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Omg, hope your arm is okay. I would have fallen off the ladder! It looks really good though. The wall color and the light!

Country Dreaming said...

Great job. Love the chandy.

Melinda

Brandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandy said...

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. I've been lamenting my inability to wear sleeveless shirts in this heat without peeps making a fuss over my huge "wound"..... ;-) It was worth it!

lisaroyhandbags said...

You sound a lot like me - once you get an idea in your head, there's no stopping you until it's done! I've gotten myself into all kinds of situations because I've been too impatient to wait for my man to come home to help me out!
It looks great though! And I hope your arm heals quickly. : )
thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Livy said...

Awesome improvising!

Love the way that chandelier turned out.

Melanie said...

That sounds like something I would do. Maybe not spray paint in the house but hurt myself, ruin something etc. It was a great story to tell and I do love the paint & the chandy.

Stopping by from Southern Comfort in a Northern Life.

Tammy@ Not Just Paper and Glue said...

I love the new room color. Very beautiful! Your light bulb incident sounds like something I would do :)

AliLilly said...

I agree with Tammy and Carol!! I think it looks great! Seeing a picture of you right after the tent spray paint special would of been great!!! *winks*

OH and Thank for your SWEET comments and encouragement. :)