Okay, so I joined up with the T-Shirt Diaries to do a little
Stash Busting September
So I figure this should be easy enough..... right. Well, we'll see. The idea is to not buy anymore crafting supplies during September, but instead to use up all the stuff you already have.
I have a ton of
crapola errr, stuff I've been meaning to complete.
Dear Hubs has been looking around the house lately with that itchy fidgety look that means he's concerned I may be auditioning for the new season of that show hoarders.
BUT!!! I assure you, dear Hubs, there is a plan.
I understand that he sees no value in the ottoman that I came across for free while in college. There is actually an inspection tag on the bottom of this monstrosity dated November 1980.
Yes, it's ugly.
But it was free.
It's followed me through numerous apartments in college, into marriage and across three states. All at a time when we really couldn't afford new furniture. It followed faithfully and never complained about being covered by a blanket in sad attempts to dress it up. Or just camouflage (sp??) that just doesn't look right.....
She's been a faithful place to rest for the almost 15 yrs. that I've had her. I will not give up on such faithful service without a fight. I am a firm believer in up-cycling. She just needs love.
It's warehouse type store.......no air conditioning :-(
It's all surplus, slightly damaged items on the cheap. They have furniture too, but often not as cheap as my budget would prefer.
So I ran across these about a month ago. I had no idea what I needed them for but knew I had to give them a new home.
Does anyone else shop that way?????
I NEEDED THEM!!!
They came two per box, $3 a box. Ummmm...... so I scurried to the register with my treasures.
To a Hubs growing suspicious of my hoarding tendencies, I assume it was a little unclear why I needed four boxes of something that I had no immediate plans for.
To that I say.... Shut.Up.
I quickly decided the they would make perfect new "feet" for my much loved ottoman. So I picked out new fabric for the ottoman.
Are you dying yet???? You've already raced to the bottom of the post to see the fabric, I know......
I pinned up a slip cover for the ottoman.
Seems there's not a great place in my house to take a picture. Why are they all so shadowy??? Back to the ottoman slip cover...
Stitched that baby up..
Flipped over the ottoman. Spent hours removing staples, etc. from years of someone's...... less sophisticated efforts to "fix" her........
Took a break here, called hubs at work to declare said injuries and request first aid intervention.
He was skeptical about the severity of my injuries..... pause for pictures.
He was not impressed.
Note to self..... Find someone more sympathetic and less desensitized to my clumsiness.
Get impatient for finding the right screws to attach the feet....... opt for the
quick fix trusty Gorilla Glue instead. So let me just sing the praises of Gorilla Glue one more time, is there anything better??? I think not!! I used this epoxy gorilla glue we had, sets in five minutes.
Determined that this ottoman will last me at least 15 more years, hot glue AND staple the slip cover the bottom of the ottoman.
Flip her over........
Ahhhh!!! Love her more than ever, heart goes pitter patter. I am content.
Pause to pat yourself on the back, making sure to wrench your shoulder. Causing just enough discomfort to require a glass of wine.
Spend the rest of the afternoon texting the Hubs pics of the "new" ottoman from 40 million different angles so he to can revel in your genius.
Adding an extra picture
Here's a little clearer pic with the new "feet". The round parts were kind of flat on top so I sanded them just a tiny bit to make it a little flatter.
The fabric was a remnant at Joann's.
Fabric and new feet for this project were a total of $28.76
Not bad considering that ottomans can cost several hundred dollars!!!
All this stuff was sitting here, I just needed to finish it!!!!
Now I gotta find a project for the other "feet" I bought last month!!! :-)
Links that I love: