Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Laundry Detergent That Works

I'm sure this has been shared......
and shared, and shared, and shared some more.

But when I find something I love I have to pass it on. 
You know, just in case there is one person in a remote corner of the world that hasn't heard.
Making your own laundry detergent is super easy and cheap. 


What you need:
1. Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
2. Borax (My box busted, hence the plastic container)
3. Laundry soap (Zote, Fells Naptha, or you can use plain old Ivory)
4. Oxy Clean/ Cheaper knock off brand (Optional)

Grate your laundry soap, this is the most time consuming part. And really it doesn't take that long.  
This is what I've found so far:

Ivory- It works fine and I think I read some where it was originally a laundry soap (maybe I made that up... who knows) But I just didn't like the smell as much.  It smells fine, it just didn't smell like "laundry" to me. Make sense???...... No, I know Just trust me. 

Fells Naptha- By far my favorite to use, but at nearly $3.00 a bar it was just not cost effective.  It is also a much harder/ dryer bar of soap, if that makes sense.  It was hard enough that I could just pop it in my little food chopper and grind it up.  I didn't have to spend time with the cheese grater. SCORE!! No skinned knuckles on this one.  Of the three soaps, it's the easiest but not the cheapest. 

Zote- I like the smell and it's cheap.  And hey, what girl doesn't love pink!! You have to use a cheese grater for Zote. It's soft enough that it just turns to mush in the food chopper. I found it at Big Lots for .80 so I stocked up on it!!


Combine all ingredients in a large storage container.
The recipe is:
1 Cup Borax
2 Cups grated soap (Zote, Ivory, Fells Naptha)
1 Cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 Cup Oxyclean (Optional)

Shake/ Stir Enjoy!! :-)

I usually double the amounts of each and make a larger batch. I kept a little post-it in the laundry when I first started so that I could tally the loads done and see if it was cost effective.  The double batch I make usually washes about 75 loads +/_ and it averages out to about .06 a load.

AND.......
It's perfectly safe for your front loaders. I did a lot of research before doing this two years ago for the first time because I had just gotten a new high efficiency washer & dryer.  This recipe doesn't produce a lot of suds, works great.


Then all you need is a super cute container!


And some directions so someone else around here can do some laundry too....... 
:-)

7 comments:

Kelli said...

I didn't think you could use this stuff for front loaders so I am glad you posted this!

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

Yeah! see, you let me know about your blog just in time!
I am going to try this !
Following you now...better late than never. :)

lisaroyhandbags said...

thanks - this is great - I didn't know you could use this in front loaders either :)

Erin said...

I made the liquid, and love it, but I really wanted a "powder", am super excited. Thanks for sharing!

AliLilly said...

I really do wanna try this! HEY did you know your a NO COMMENT REPLY BLOGGER! :( If you didn't know and don't wanna be email me and I will tell you how to change it. That means that any comments you leave on blogs they can not reply to your comment via email. It's the easiest way to reply! I tried to say thank you and it told me NO! :(

Brandy said...

I had no idea, let me see if I can figure this out. I'll email you.

Anonymous said...

I fool be familiar with a few of the articles on your website at this very moment, and I extremely like your tastefulness of blogging. I added it to my favorites trap period file and will be checking stand behind soon. Cheer check into public notice my site as approvingly and leave to me conscious what you think. Thanks.