Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Table Top Love

I saw the idea somewhere, can't find it now.....
Of using a frame as a part of a center piece. 
Super cute, but couldn't find what I was looking for at a reasonable price.
I wanted a chunky frame, what to do....
Build one!

I'm becoming more comfortable with all things power tool since my first building attempt with 


Because building what you want is the first thing that comes to mind 
for a gal who has a notorious lack of patience.

So I found some chunky molding at Lowe's that I love.
Measured & cut to fit a piece of scrap wood left over from another project. 


Gorilla Glue & some clamps.
Big fan of using what I've got.


Then Wait......
And use this time to sing the praises of all things Gorilla Glue!
Seriously, the best stuff.
Rivaled only by my love of spray paint.
Two things that are a must for those of us lacking the skill to wait patiently. 


Glue dry!
Painted it a lovely creamy off white. I had this paint already, for so long that there's more paint on the outside of the can than inside. Hence, I could not begin to tell you the exact color.... Boo!


I thought it might look cool stained, to make it a little "antique-y"
Sue me, I make up words...


I brushed on a coat of wood finish, immediately wiping it off as a I went. 
Freaking at first, because it was really dark and I thought I may have ruined it. 


I think it goes pretty well with my dishes.


The molding was about $12. 
Everything else was already on hand! 


...........And, we got snow
About 5 inches, enough to shut down everything in West TN.
Because, you know, we're just not used to it.


Doesn't look like much to most of you, I'm sure!
:-)

10 comments:

lisaroyhandbags said...

wow- look at you being all handy with power tools and such! love it!! it turned out so pretty and looks great with your dishes :)

AliLilly said...

WOW!! That looks GREAT!!! AND that is a LOT A LOT of snow!! Remember I'm from Houston Tx and now live in PHX. It rained teeny tiny ice pellet for about 25 seconds last week here and I totally freaked out!!! I was outside calling everyone! I even announced it on the ABC15 facebook page! HA!

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Beautiful!!! I made a sound decision today to get more crafty. So I guess tomorrow I take the steps to doing that?

Country Dreaming said...

Great job--love it.
Have fun in the snow.

Melinda

pam said...

You did a great job! When you get tired of it as a centerpiece you could paint the center with chalkboard paint and use it as a message board. The molding is pretty and so is your table.

1 Funky Woman said...

I wonder if I'm the only person in this blog world that has never used Gorilla Glue? Love the tray! It looks so pretty on your table.

Check out your next post and that silhouette thing was creepy. Glad you saw the potential in it and now it looks great! I love the GW also and go twice a week!

New follower!
Love for you to stop on by at http://1funkywoman.blogspot.com

Megan

Dominique from Craft Couture said...

This is so cute & a great idea! I will be following your blog & Thanks for the comment on my sewing caddy, I'll hopefully have the tutorial up soon :).

Lori said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love that table top tray! I haven't ventured much into the world of power tools! I clearly need to learn!!

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

How pretty is that! you have patience, more so than I....I hate Gorilla glue, I can't be a sponsor for them..oh well, they didn't ask so....Have a great weekend.

Ginger said...

Love it! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!