Saturday, March 12, 2011

I needed another purse, seriously....


I got this seriously cute notebook to organize all my work stuff.
I love it!


I got it when I realized the plain black one I've used for the last 4 years was coming apart.
So I reorganized.
You all know by now how I love to organize....
Nothing calms my mood like feeling organized.

So of course I need a new bag to go with it, of course. 
This notebook it Vera Bradley, so there is a bag/ purse that goes with it.
It just wasn't what I wanted.  


So this fabric was as close as I could come to a match.
Doesn't she just shout "Spring!"
I'm so ready for warmer weather.


I knew what I wanted it to look like, but didn't have a pattern. 
So I modified a pattern for a Hobo bag that I had. 
I'm a totally self-taught sewer.
proof that anyone, and I mean ANYONE, can sew......
I made some mistakes, but next time it won't take me all day.
having a little notebook to make notes about projects is helpful.
Learn from the mistakes. 

I wanted a flat panel/ strip around the top and cut that out first. 
I drew a picture of how I wanted the purse to look.
Next time I'll also draw out each of the pieces I need.
My eyeballing and guessing, wasted a little fabric. 


I used the hobo bag pattern and folded the top down where I wanted the top panel to be. 


I did the same with the inside lining. 


I ironed on stabilizer after getting all the pieces cut. 
I put stabilizer on the liner too. Honestly I could have skipped that.
It does make it extra sturdy, but it's not really necessary.  


Being totally self-taught, I don't know all the technical terms.
So this was the first time I ever sewed a dart.  
If you want to sew and you don't know where to start, go to YouTube.
There are awesome videos that will walk you through what you need to know. 
I had a general idea about darts, 
but was afraid I would mess up more of my quickly dwindling fabric supply. 
So I looked up "sewing darts" and got some rockin' awesome "how to" videos.
Easy Peasy!!!!


The darts gave me the idea for the pleat on the front of the purse.
I think it added character, love! 


Of coursed I added pockets inside, I'm crazy for pockets.
The more the better!!


And She's done!! 
Overall I like the way she turned out. 
In my mind the top panel was a bit more narrow.
When you make it up as you go, things change.
I think I may give it another try though, 
and see if I can tweak the pattern more. 


And of course, there had to be a fabric covered notebook to go with it......


Anyone else seeing the obsession emerging here.....


With a cute ruffle (tutorial here) to match the purse & notebook.


We're going to need to build on a room for my purses.....



Linking Up: 


2 comments:

Country Dreaming said...

Very nice job. Looks great!
I know how to sew but, even I'm not sure I would undertake this project!

Cool.

Melinda

At The Picket Fence said...

Okay, you might have given me hope that even "I" could learn to sew. My mom and my sister are the sewers in the family...me not so much. But, my daughter has started to learn and has a beautiful new sewing machine. Might just need to get myself on there and just sew something...lol

You did a beautiful job on the purse, I LOVE the colors! Thank you so much for linking up to Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence!

Heather